[council] An additional issue for AOB at our next meeting

Flip Petillion fpetillion at petillion.law
Wed Mar 9 10:29:41 UTC 2022

Dear All:

I propose that we put the following issue as an AOB on the agenda of our next meeting.

The incident that generated the letter from the Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Digital Transformation of Ukraine, and the response by G. Marby, raises questions on ICANN’s role at the occasion of certain Internet activities in conflict situations. There is more to this than the question of restricting access to the Internet, the need to act neutral and within ICANN’s core mission.  The questions cover a broad scope of legal and ethical considerations that may need to be fully explored.  Above all, the security and stability of the Internet and the systems reliant upon it are at risk.

The question is: how does ICANN ensure the openness (including accessibility) of the Internet in conflict situations and how does ICANN manage the impact on the security and stability of the Internet?

In my humble opinion, this calls for a thorough impact analysis and policies that effectively map, identify and combat forms of abuse as warranted by overarching global security concerns. Ultimately, this approach may set more realistic expectations in the Community.

I have not been able to discuss this at the IPC and, hence, the IPC has not been able to express a position on this subject, yet.

But I think the discussion is timely.

I propose that the GNSO councilors go back to their SGCs and inform the GNSO council if they wish to ask council to consider the impact analysis that I am referring to above.

Best regards,

Flip

Flip Petillion
fpetillion at petillion.law<mailto:fpetillion at petillion.law>