[council] An additional issue for AOB at our next meeting

Flip Petillion fpetillion at petillion.law
Tue Mar 15 09:37:35 UTC 2022

Dear All:

Thank you for your attention to the cyber abuse issue at our last meeting of 10 March.

I think three questions arise:

1) The first question is whether and to what extent cyberattacks or cyberwarfare (may) impact the DNS and its security and stability. The answer to this question will help the SG/Cs determine whether any policy related initiative is warranted.

I propose to invite your SG/C to support the concept of an impact analysis. Org (with the assistance of councilors of each house) can ask SSAC to prepare such analysis or contract with an external and independent expert to that purpose.

In a next phase, we can think of policies that effectively permanently map, identify and combat forms of abuse as warranted by overarching global security concerns.

2) The second question is what ICANN can do to assure openness and accessibility to the Internet.

I am sure the community will come up with creative suggestions. Inviting people at ICANN meetings and financially supporting their attendance may be an example. Ensuring that Internet users can engage with each other in a safe and secure environment may also contribute to maintaining the openness and accessibility of the Internet. I propose to invite your SG/C to think of concrete measures that the community can discuss with ICANN org.

3) The third question is what ICANN can effectively undertake to stop cyber abuse.

I am convinced that the organization does not aspire to install what I would describe as a ‘cyber curtain’, which is exactly what some regimes would like to do themselves. History has shown its impact on a numerous number of levels.

However, we should be able to take measures to fight activities that terrorize people, businesses, organizations, and States.

ICANN has Expected Standards of Behavior. Why don’t we set up Expected Standards of Use?

ICANN has set up a program that supports the enforcement of rights out of court, that has been implemented on a global level, and that has been successful for over 20 years. Why don’t we set up a Unified Abuse Resolution Policy that may impose technical and financial measures where appropriate?

I am convinced that we should explore a broader scope of legal and ethical considerations at this stage. If the organization can take effective measures but refrains from doing so because of reasons of neutrality to mention just one, I expect others will step in and instruct what the organization is expected to do.

Therefore, I propose to invite your SG/C to support the initiative to set up a working group that discusses this issue and advises on the effectiveness of a policy to fight cyberattacks and cyberwarfare.

I thank you for your attention to this and I will discuss this with my own constituency and come back to you with its position.

Best regards,

Flip

Flip Petillion
fpetillion at petillion.law<mailto:fpetillion at petillion.law>