[council] Liaison Call with GAC Point of Contact

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Wed Nov 23 17:30:35 UTC 2022

Dear GNSO Council Members,

The GAC Point of Contact (Jorge Cancio) and I had our monthly call last Friday (November 18, 2022).  Below is a summary of our call.

  1.  As you know, GAC has a new leadership team that will start at the end of the March ICANN Meeting in Cancun.  The Leadership team, led by Nicolas Caballero (Paraguay) is getting up to speed on everything and they should be in a good position to take over.  A list of the new leadership can be found here:  https://gac.icann.org/activity/gac-2022-chair-and-vicechairs-elections

  1.  The GAC has filed comments on the Holistic Review, The Registration Data protection policy and the RDAP Amendment.  The RDAP Amendment comments were delivered late and may not appear in the public comment area on the ICANN website,  but will be included in the summary.  Comments can be found here:  https://gac.icann.org/statement/public/gac-comments-rdap-brda-amendments-16nov22.pdf

  1.  Tentatively, GNSO Council and GAC are set to have a bilateral at ICANN Cancun on March 15th at 9:00 local time.

  1.  For the meeting at ICANN, we would like to have discussions not just on areas that we differ, but potentially on areas which we agree and where we can support each other.  Perhaps topics like the SubPro ODA/ODP, the SubPro IRT, or even the DPAs between ICANN and the Contracted Parties.   We want to make the meetings less adversarial and more about things we can do together.

  1.  For ICANN 76, the GAC is aiming to have more outreach / capacity building sessions like they did in KL.  With all of the GAC member turnover in the past several years, the capacity/outreach sessions talking about some of the basics was really helpful to GAC members and is something that they would like to have on an ongoing basis.  This will likely be held on March 11, 2023, in Cancun (Saturday).  GAC Leadership may be reaching out to the Council / GNSO on topics.  As the Liaison, I volunteered to help the GAC with any GNSO topics and finding people to participate.

  1.  We are looking at Mid-late February for a GAC Leadership / GNSO Leadership call to discuss agenda for GAC/GNSO Bilateral meeting at ICANN76.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

Sincerely,

Jeff Neuman
GNSO Council Liaison to GAC

[cid:image001.png at 01D8FB31.B08BF080]