[council] [gnso-chairs] GAC Chair Letter to GNSO Chair - GGP Applicant Support

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Wed Oct 5 12:11:02 UTC 2022

Sending on behalf of Sebastien Ducos
****************

Dear Councilors,

I hope your travels home from Kuala Lumpur went well.

With respect to the GGP - Applicant Support, here are a few points that I’d like to emphasize that might help us as we consider how the Council should respond to the GAC’s request to expand its participation in the GGP from 1 to 2 members and 2 alternates.  We are suggesting to not expand the Working Group membership as the GAC has requested, but are interested in hearing your thoughts.

First, we need to emphasize the limited scope of work of the GGP, as opposed to the broader topic area. Specifically, the GGP scope of work is primarily limited to two tasks:

Analyze the set of suggested metrics in Implementation Guidance 17.9 and propose which ones should be prioritized; and identify any other appropriate metrics and measures of success to help in identifying the necessary program elements and measuring program success after the fact.

And

Recommend a methodology for allocating financial support where there is inadequate funding for all qualified applicants.

It is important to note in relation to the GGP scope of work that it does not include opening up any of the existing recommendations already approved by the Council for further consideration or analysis.

Second, we also should emphasize that in developing the GGP Initiation Request, the Council ultimately determined that the optimal membership model was a Working Group, as opposed to a Steering Group, limited to a small group of “Representatives + Observers” that could conclude its work in an efficient/effective manner while allowing for inclusive community participation. However, to ensure a variety of viewpoints from geographically diverse (particularly underserved regions) it is important to note that the Working Group has been encouraged to consider involvement by Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in improving engagement in underserved regions and addressing issues unique to new gTLD applicant support relevant to those regions. Those SMEs may include GAC members, as well as other members of the community.

I hope that you find these suggestions to be helpful in the Council’s consideration of the GAC’s request.

Kind regards,

Sebastien Ducos
GNSO Chair