[council] IGO Matters

Susan Payne susan.payne at comlaude.com
Mon Aug 14 17:40:10 UTC 2023

Thanks for sharing this Sebastien.  I have suggested that we add this to our August Council agenda as AOB, since the deadline is today, but this may be something we can progress over email.

During the last Council meeting I flagged that there are a number of inter-related workstreams that likely need to conclude before the 10 year old IGO issue is fully resolved, including implementation of the  Curative Rights Protections recommendations, development of a post-registration notification system for IGOs and, possibly, continuing the Bylaws-mandated Board-GAC consultation process, if this has not been concluded. Mary's email touches on some, but not all of this.

It would be extremely helpful to get a clear understanding of exactly which steps do need to be taken and the anticipated timelines, which could then help to manage the expectations of those for whom this remains an issue of importance.  Whilst I appreciate that once policy leaves the GNSO and moves into implementation it formally ceases to be our responsibility, nevertheless as the manager of the PDP process it is appropriate that Council should maintain an interest in what happens to the policy that it delivers.  I believe that Council should therefore seek such an update, and note that there was support for this from Kurt during our July meeting.

Thanks
Susan

Susan Payne
Head of Legal Policy