[council] Update on Closed Generics

Susan Payne susan.payne at comlaude.com
Wed Aug 16 15:01:43 UTC 2023

Hi Anne

I wanted to share some thoughts on the two issues you raised.

Issue #1
I read Greg’s email as merely addressing the concern Kurt raised that we should not be instructing the Board what to do, rather than expressing some underlying intent to endorse accepting closed generic applications.

Is it the use of the wording “unless and until there is a community-developed consensus policy in place, any applications seeking to impose exclusive registry access for "generic strings" to a single person or entity and/or that person's or entity's Affiliates (as defined in Section 2.9(c) of the Registry Agreement) should not proceed” in the original Chairs letter to the dialogue group that you feel implies this?  My assumption would be that this isn’t the intent. “Should not proceed” in the last round was ICANN-speak for rejected or refused.  Council certainly should discuss this, however, to be sure we are in agreement on what is the intent – and then the letter to the Board can be drafted accordingly.

To my mind, it would make no sense for Council to encourage that applicants to be permitted to apply for a closed generic, with that application then being placed on indefinite hold (if that were how one interpreted “should not proceed”) unless and until some policy is developed which, the Chairs letter indicates, we may not even be working on.  If the Board decision is that closed generics will not be permitted to proceed, therefore, it would be preferable if the AGB makes it clear to applicants that they should not apply for a string if that is their intent.  If an applicant nevertheless does submit an application for what is intended to be a closed generic, they could be given the option either to withdraw or to amend their application to be non-closed, as was the case in 2012.  For the avoidance of doubt there was a third option in the 2012 round, to have the application placed on hold pending development of policy by SubPro.  No applicants selected this option in the last round.  For the future, it might be reasonable for applicants to have this option if policy work were underway, but not if it isn’t.

Issue #2
I don’t believe that Council itself has taken a decision that it will not proceed to develop Closed Generic policy using an existing GNSO policy process. No doubt Council will discuss this next week.

I also do not believe that Council is required to develop a policy.  SubPro attempted to do so and could not agree on recommendations.  The Board invited the GNSO Council and GAC to start the facilitated dialogue on a workable framework “in the interest of helping the community make progress”.  The GAC and/or GNSO Council could have refused to try this approach at that point, and so it is surely also open to either or both to inform the Board that we have taken this as far as we can for now.

If there were to be further policy work, I think many of us are of the view that you cannot keep putting the same people in a room and expecting them to somehow come out with a different outcome.  The community has tried to develop a policy on this and has been unable to do so.  As was noted at SubPro 23.1:

The Working Group believes that if this issue were to be considered in future policy work, it should also involve experts in the areas of competition law, public policy, and economics. In addition, it should be performed by those in the community that are not associated with any past, present, or expectations of future work in connection with new gTLD applications or objections to new gTLD applications. Absent such independence, any future work is unlikely to result in an outcome any different than the one achieved in this Working Group [emphasis added].

Susan

Susan Payne
Head of Legal Policy
Com Laude