[council] Message from Tripti Sinha to Former CCWG-AP Members

Anne ICANN anneicanngnso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 19:14:12 UTC 2023

Dear Tripti and Board:

Members of the CSG have raised several concerns about this proposed action
in relation to the administration of the ICANN Grant Program based on a
change to the Recommendations adopted from the CCWG - Auction Proceeds
Final Report.  The following text quotes the concerns raised and is asking
that the Board defer action on this matter at its special Board meeting
tomorrow in order to allow time for community feedback.

"If staff can be instructed to disapply the IRP and RfR by contract, rather
than the community going through the formal process to approve a targeted
Bylaws change, that sets a concerning precedent.  Furthermore:

   - Doesn’t this place Org in a position where the Bylaws allow for these
   accountability mechanisms to apply, but a staff action purports to
   contravene the Bylaws, which itself could be challenged?
   - These proposed contractual terms with ICANN would be non-negotiable.
   I’m not a US attorney, so I don’t know to what extent this would be a
   concern here, but I recall that in other contexts there have been arguments
   that unilateral terms imposed by ICANN might be considered contracts of
   adhesion and unenforceable (I also appreciate, of course, that Org would
   never concede that this might be the case);
   - I share your concern that, in any event, while this might catch the
   applicant who agrees to the terms, it would not cover a third party who had
   not signed on to the terms and who might seek to challenge a Grant award to
   someone else.

Overall, it sounds as though the CCWG considered how best to handle
disapplying these accountability mechanisms and concluded that a Bylaws
change was the right way forward.  Seeking to shortcut this by using the
T&Cs appears to be an unsatisfactory alternative. "

Thank you,
Anne
(Former CSG Voting Delegate to the CCWG - Auction Proceeds)

Anne Aikman-Scalese
GNSO Councilor
NomCom Non-Voting 2022-2024
anneicanngnso at gmail.com