[council] PDP Improvements - status update

Anne ICANN anneicanngnso at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 22:52:58 UTC 2023

Hi Marika.  Kurt's language is more accurate.  The PDP Manual should not
state that the WG MUST consider whether there is an impact on existing
policies because if the WG is supposed to undertake that level of work, the
specific policies it is to consider should be identified in the Charter
document.  Then it's ok I think for there to be a general provision in the
Charter that says if the GDS liaison raises an affected policy, the WG
should try to address it.

Some of this discussion turns on what is meant by "an impact on existing
policies".  Your question assumes that an existing policy will need to be
changed but that is not necessarily the case.  And yes, I think that would
have to be addressed at the Council level so the WG could say, for
instance, we considered the impact on X policy and believe our
recommendation does not require a change to that policy OR we considered
the impact on X policy and are recommending as change as follows:
_______________---- OR We considered the impact on X policy and believe
this needs to be addressed at the Council level. The last example could
also be brought before Council by the GNSO Liaison prior to the Final
Report.

I think it should be clear what we are trying to prevent - an obligation on
unpaid volunteers to identify all potentially impacted policies. The draft
language for the PDP Manual amendment imposes that obligation and needs to
be modified.  Kurt makes a very constructive suggestion.   I also think the
PDP Manual language should include the obligation for ICANN GNSO policy
staff and GDS Liaison to identify any policies that need to be considered
by the WG.  Do the amendments to the PDP Manual already specify this?

Thank you,
Anne Aikman-Scalese
GNSO Councilor
NomCom Non-Voting 2022-2024