[council] Seeking final approval: GNSO Council response to bulk registration letters

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Fri May 26 17:57:37 UTC 2023

Councilors,

We could not get to this during the AOB of our recent meeting, but it's
a fairly straightforward question.

After reconvening, the DNS Abuse Small Team arrived at the conclusion
that currently we do not have enough information available for bulk
registrations to be the subject of policy deliberations. While not
closing the subject permanently, we are suggesting closing it for now.
Attached is the full document with the sequence of communications
between the involved parties. Below, in plain text, is the response itself.

Mindful of the time sensitivity of this for ICANN 77 and cognizant of
the fact that the document was initially circulated on May 15, we are
hoping to receive comments, if any, by *June 5*, in order to be able to
formalize the response.

*Plain text*:

"ICANN’s recently started Inferential Analysis of Maliciously Registered
Domains (INFERMAL) project seems to indicate a willingness from the org.
to look into this matter and provide us with better statistics and
intelligence. We have also heard from the colleagues at the DNS Abuse
Institute that this could be on their radar.

Our preliminary conclusion has been that this does not fall within the
realm of Consensus Policy at the moment. With the understanding that the
above does not directly relate to policy, we appreciate the importance
of other bodies taking these matters into consideration."

--
Mark W. Datysgeld [markwd.website <https://markwd.website>]
Director at Governance Primer [governanceprimer.com