[council] Fwd: [FormerMembersCCWG-AP] ICANN Grant Program session at ICANN78

Susan Payne susan.payne at comlaude.com
Thu Nov 2 18:00:13 UTC 2023

Thanks Paul, I continue to share your concerns. I really appreciate Becky’s efforts shortly before the Board meeting to try to address the Council’s concerns, but the Board resolution, as passed, does not really do so.  Although Becky’s email regarding the intent to make a Bylaws amendment, which reflects the reference in the recitals clause, gives some comfort the resolution itself reflects only the Board’s determination that such an amendment is not necessary:

Resolved (2023.10.26.11), the ICANN Board revisits its 12 June 2022 decision on Recommendation 7 of the Cross-Community Working Group on New gTLD Auction Proceeds (CCWG-AP) and issues the Revised Scorecard - CCWG on Auction Proceeds Final Report Recommendations – Board Action ("Revised Scorecard")<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/revised-scorecard-ccwg-auction-proceeds-final-recs-board-action-26oct23-en.pdf>, removing the requirement and dependency that a Fundamental Bylaws Amendment is required prior to the launch of the ICANN Grant Cycle. The Board's action on all other Recommendations within the CCWG-AP's Final Report remains in place.

And from the Scorecard itself:
UPDATE October 2023: The Board acknowledges the balance that the CCWG-AP was attempting to develop between remaining accountable to applicants while also remaining accountable to the goal of preserving auction funds for grants, as opposed to depleting funds through defense against application-related uses of the ICANN’s accountability mechanisms. At the same time, the Board recognizes that ICANN’s Fundamental Bylaws on accountability do not need to be amended at this time in order to implement the CCWG-AP’s recommendation barring applicants from use of accountability mechanisms for decisions on individual applications. Prior to any modification of ICANN’s Bylaws, the Board directs that it is more appropriate for ICANN org to explore the use of contractual terms and conditions to implement this recommendation. The Board expects that applicants will be precluded from resort to ICANN’s accountability mechanisms for all individual application decisions taken within the ICANN Grant Program, whether those decisions are a result of the substantive Independent Application Assessment Panel review or due to other application eligibility or admissibility checks implemented within the Program. This is the only means with which to uphold ICANN’s accountability for the preservation of public funds. Throughout the ICANN Grant Program cycles, the Board will pay close attention to the very important balance recommended by the CCWG-AP on preservation of the auction funds for grant making and the impact on ICANN’s accountability mechanisms, all while running a Grant Program in a manner that is accountable to applicants and the broader Internet community. The Board directs ICANN org to review the effectiveness of the limitation of access to ICANN’s accountability mechanisms after the first cycle.

There is no guarantee that the proposed Bylaws amendment in the form being proposed will pass (and I personally have concerns about what is being proposed), and we have a resolution from the Board stating categorically that it does not need to make such an amendment in order to disapply the accountability mechanisms to these decisions.  That is simply not correct.

I would very much prefer that we continue the dialogue with the Board on this, but the time limits for the RfR and IRP are such that we cannot wait on such a dialogue if we wish to challenge this decision.

Susan Payne
Head of Legal Policy
Com Laude
T +44 (0) 20 7421 8250