[council] Meeting with ALAC and Diacritic Characters

desiree-me desiree-me at protonmail.com
Fri Oct 20 12:52:34 UTC 2023

Hi

I like the examples Mark provided as it proves that the GNSO can have a separate discussion on .québec perhaps after Wednesday String Similarity Guidelines.

The LGR rules have left us with a challenge by saying there are no variants in Latin alphabets, an oversimplification. Therefore as .Québec is beyond the IDN EPDP problem because it is not a variant.

However, the GNSO Council will have to address this and future cases of String Similarity and it is important to recognise that String Similarity does not necessarily have to create a confusion in user's mind. We need to have a policy tool box to cater for those as well.
Some examples of those are .ong and .ngo and few other gTLDs in Cyrillic language for example.

Also agree with Susan that we should listen to ALAC's views to start with.

Desiree
--

Desiree
--