[council] [Ext] Re: FW: [gnso-chairs] FW: Update on the Grant Program Implementation

Anne ICANN anneicanngnso at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 14:47:32 UTC 2023

Thanks Marika. This is very helpful information.

Where this gets a bit tricky is that a Fundamental Principle of a CCWG is
that the Chartering Organizations must approve/support the final
recommendations of the CCWG - or at least not object to them. So it seems
that if this issue re amendment of the ByLaws being too cumbersome from the
Board's point of view is to be worked on and resolved via the new list of
CCWG members, the output would still have to come back to the Chartering
organizations for amendment to the CCWG Auction Proceeds Final Report.  So
it would seem that the GNSO would would want to be included in a final step
of approval/non-objection on whatever comes out of the work product of the
new list.

In this regard, I note that the former chairs of the CCWG have expressed an
opinion that the Board should stick with the ByLaws amendment approach.
Others on the list have asked whether there could be a deviation from that
approach for the first $10M in grants while a Fundamental ByLaws amendment
process is pursued.  The point of this bifurcation would be to be able to
proceed with the Implementation plan adopted by ICANN Org in a timely
manner.

The letter received by Council might be considered a request for GNSO Input
under the Annexes, especially since CCWGs are strongly encouraged to
consider those policy tools .  However, it may be that the Input process is
too cumbersome or doesn't fit the facts here. (I haven't separately
examined that.)   Nevertheless, it appears that the GNSO, as one of the
Chartering Organizations, would have to formally approve (or at least
non-object to) any solution developed on the newly-constituted list and
that all Chartering Organizations for the CCWG would have to have the same
process in relation to amending the CCWG Final Report.  If the approach on
the new list is to undertake an amendment of the Final Report and if all
Chartering Organizations approve (or non-object to) that amendment, then
Chartering Organization approval of the proposed amendment should work to
address this issue.

So I think that under the CCWG Fundamental Principles,  the Council would
have to communicate to the Board that it reserves the right to review the
proposed amendment coming out of the list in its Chartering Organization
capacity.   I also think that based on those same CCWG fundamental
principles, the proposed amendment  (if any) would likely have to go out
for public comment first before Chartering Organization approval.   I would
be interested in others' thoughts on this.

Thank you,
Anne

Anne Aikman-Scalese
GNSO Councilor