[council] Draft Guidance Statement on “.québec"

Anne ICANN anneicanngnso at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 23:01:31 UTC 2023

Many thanks Ariel.
To Sebastien and Council Members,

I am trying to understand the part of the draft  letter that states that
resolution of this policy issue should not be a dependency for the next
round.  For example, if the next round proceeds, are we saying we expect
.quebec to file a String Confusion objection to any third party application
for québec with accent grave over the first e?  Or are we saying we think
that string similarity review will disqualify any third party application?

There appear to be some similarities between these issues and the issue of
singulars and plurals which the Sub Pro Final Report treated in detail.
That Recommendation is one of the 38 pending issues being handled by the
Sub Pro Small Team as to the possible path to a solution which can be
adopted by the Board.

Would .quebec end up negotiating with a third party  applicant for québec  in
order to have priority when the PDP on this issue is complete?  (No
priority for .quebec if no exception is created.)  Is there potential for
gaming here if no policy is developed before the next round?

Alternatively, do we believe a policy process which begins after the idn
Phase 2 report is delivered will likely be completed in time for the
guidelines to appear in the Applicant Guidebook if an exception is created
which is similar to the one created for .eu?

Apologies as I do not have direct experience with String Similarity Review
and its interaction with Objection procedures.  Just trying to understand
what happens if no policy is adopted before the next round opens.

Thank you,
Anne
Anne Aikman-Scalese
GNSO Councilor