[council] FEEDBACK REQUEST: Timing and Potential Deferral of ATRT4 and Related Community Engagement Activities

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Mar 6 13:54:50 UTC 2024

Dear GNSO Stakeholder Group and Constituency leaders,

Please find attached the letter I mentioned during the Council’s closed session yesterday regarding a potential deferral of ATRT4. The letter is from Theresa Swinehart, Senior Vice President for Global Domains & Strategy, seeking the community’s feedback on the timing and potential deferral of ATRT4.

As I explained yesterday, this is a time-sensitive request as the timing of ATRT4 is determined by the Bylaws, which provide that “[t]he Accountability and Transparency Review shall be conducted no less frequently than every five years measured from the date the previous Accountability and Transparency Review Team was convened”. The ATRT3 review team was convened in April 2019, which therefore places the date to convene ATRT4 in April 2024.

I understand that the letter may not have been sent to all community group leaders or was otherwise not transmitted successfully when it was first sent out, for which I apologize on behalf of ICANN org. You will see that the letter had suggested 22 March as the deadline for submission of community feedback. In the current circumstances, please let me and your staff support teams know how we can assist with a speedy and concise response (e.g., if, as suggested yesterday, the GNSO community wishes to consider a consolidated response, to be sent through the GNSO Council).

For your convenient reference, here is the hyperlink to the letter request: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/swinehart-to-soac-chairs-et-al-13feb24-en.pdf. You can also find additional background in the slides that the ICANN org staff team supporting Reviews-related work presented during ICANN79 Prep Week and again during its community engagement session here at ICANN79: https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/icann79/12/Reviews%20Update%20ICANN79%20Webinar%20Presentation.pptx%20%281%29.pdf.

Thank you.

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Vice President, Strategic Policy Management
Email: mary.wong at icann.org<mailto:mary.wong at icann.org>
http://www.icann.org