[CPWG] ALAC Statement regarding EPDP

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 1 21:46:19 UTC 2018

Hi Michele,

See below.

At 01/08/2018 12:33 PM, Michele Neylon - Blacknight wrote:
>Alan
>
>1 - good
>2 - good
>3 - I don't understand what that means

If we were concerned only with Registrants,
privacy is a really good thing for them and we
would want more of it. From a pure user point of
view, if GDPR makes it harder for those
knowledgeable ones to access WHOIS and makes it
hard for the others listed in 4 to get quick and
effective access, so privacy is bad. In our
minds, we represent both, and we have to decide
where to draw the line. Based on a principle we
established a decade ago, we go with the numbers
and take a user perspective. (And to be clear,
there is a small contingent of our community that does not agree!)

>4 - Why are you combining law enforcement and
>private parties? Law enforcement can always get
>access to data when they follow due process.

Law enforcement is a heavy user of WHOIS at the
moment (or perhaps better said, pre-GDPR). Yes,
they will be able to get access through due
process, but that is slow and often will not be
done, so access will be less. Perhaps a lot so.
And there may be disclosure requirements that
might be considered problematic (telling
registrant that their information has been requested).

Wearing my hat as Chair of the WHOIS2-RDS Review,
this is one of the issues that we are
investigating and hope to report on in our Draft Report out in a few weeks.

Alan