[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] ALAC Statement regarding EPDP

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 2 22:42:30 UTC 2018

Hi Alan

I have concerns with your statement - and since your reply below, with our statement of principles for the EPDP.

As I suggested in my email of 1 August, we need to be VERY clear that we are NOT arguing against implementation a policy that is compliant with the GDPR.  We are arguing for other issues that impact on users - WITHIN the umbrella of the GDPR.  And if we do not make that very clear, then we look as if we are not prepared to operate within the bounds of the EPDP - which is all about developing a new policy to replace the RDS requirements that will allow registries/registrars to comply with their ICANN contracts and operate within the GDPR framework.

So your statement below that ‘yes, other issues trump privacy’ - misstates that.  What we are (or should be) arguing for is a balance of rights of access that - to the greatest extend possible - recognises the value of RDS to some constituencies with legitimate purposes - WITHIN the GDPR framework. That implicitly accepts that people/organisations that once had free and unrestricted access to the data will no longer have that open access.

And for ALAC generally, I will repeat what I said in my 1 August email - our statement of principles must be VERY clear that we are NOT arguing for a new RDS policy that goes outside of the GDPR.

 Holly