[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [SPAM] Re: [registration-issues-wg] ALAC Statement regarding EPDP

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 02:02:53 UTC 2018

Marita wrote:

*Perhaps it is *
*unintentional, but the language does send the message that we are *
*looking more carefully at security than privacy. I am also not
convinced **that
end-users would want us to do that.*

, OTOH, am significantly
 more convinced of that
; I
ask
for
evidence
to back up the claim that those we try to speak for value privacy over
security
.

What we do
have
, from the massive successes of FANG
and their spawn
... not to mention the explicitly invasive home devices that they
deploy
is compelling
evidence of the LOW value given to privacy in the pursuit of other things.
Add to that the pervasiveness of CCTV, license plate scanners and facial
recognition in democracies where such surveillance is simply not a
political
controvery
(including the countries that gave us the GDPR).

We have within this community privacy advocates
, and that is important. But just as important is that
we also have
people on the front lines of the battle against internet scammers, malware
spreaders and other bad actors who abuse privacy in pursuit of real harm.
Uniquely within ICANN
,
At-Large seeks the necessary balance between privacy and accountability
that seems so lacking elswhere
.

So I will disagree with Marita that ALAC's long-standing interest to strike
this balance is against the interest of the global Internet end users we
are charged with advancing. While the need for privacy advocates
(and what they advocate)
is critical, it is a significant error to assert that the global public of
today values privacy over security.
What ought to be does not necessarily match what is.

- Evan