[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [SPAM] Re: [registration-issues-wg] ALAC Statement regarding EPDP

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:08:45 UTC 2018

Hi Marita,

I think you may be missing the point when you state that "keeping the private info of registrants out of the hands of bad actors protects both parties". The examples that exist in abundance come from registrants who ARE themselves the bad actors, that hide behind either privacy regulations or inaccurate contact information to avoid being held to account for their harm.

Just as the right to freedom of speech is not absolute -- even in America -- neither is the right to privacy a way to hide accountability for causing demonstrable harm. Augmenting privacy with tiered access is fine so long as it is accessible to victims and effective in execution; that is exactly the balance of which I speak. This won't be easy -- being physically threatened demands a different response to merely being insulted -- but it is vital. Without such checks and balances, absolute privacy is a sure source of far more harm than good. For every whistleblower protected, a dozen others will be scammed out of their life savings, and thousands more will live in fear for their lives because of death threats from those with unchecked anonymity. This is not theory, it is happening.

In summary, it is both naive and against the global public interest to advocate for privacy without advocating just as strenuously for appropriate protections against bad actors who seek to exploit that privacy to cause harm. At-Large seeks both.

- Evan

PS: I absolutely reject the assertion that it is fear-mongering to simply want to prevent abuse of privacy by some registrants that is both clearly evidenced and ongoing.