[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Subsequent Procedures Questions - PICS

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:48:32 UTC 2018

Since I'm one who spent a lot of hours on this topic in the last round, I
feel compelled to say my 2 cents.

First, there is no successful contradiction to the fact that PICs came
about as a tactical response, a tack on.

Second, there is no successful contradiction to the fact that
notwithstanding the ICANN org noise that all PICS were contracted and
thusly enforceable, showed no enthusiasm for enforcement.

Three, the PICs themselves have a fundamental weakness as they tend to
envelop business plans removed from the actual DNS. Speaking as a corporate
strategist, it is a fickle thing to enforce and one I personally think
ICANN would be challenged to enforce.

Four, the anecdotal evidence is that a couple of outfits have implemented
PICs that smoothly integrate into their business plans; think a few of the
gTLDs that attracted GAC early warnings. I looked and could not find any
contemporary information either from the Compliance side or from the
outfits themselves that tell how things are working years on.

On the balance of facts and the weight of evidence, most who filed PICS
know its a 'feel-good-add-a-compliant-tick mark-get-out-of-jail-card' thing
and that alone.  In fact I believed my first use of the label 'not worth a
bucket of warm spit' was to record my estimate of their value to the global
public interest.

Maybe we need to encourage PICs. And maybe the gTLD operators will, like
those outfits cognizant of GAC early warnings, come up with some that
converge seamlessly into their business plans.  If there is a better
mousetrap to sell then I'm in. However, given the facts and history, I
would need to be persuaded this is worthy of another investment of
volunteer time.

-Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*