[CPWG] URGENT - WT5 proposal for 3-letter country codes

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 18:43:55 UTC 2018

Hi everyone

If you have been following the discussions in WT5 you will see that there
has been a lot of controversy over the GNSO consensus process on Country
and Territory Names and how best to come to a decision on each of the key
issues that are being discussed.

With regards to an agreement over 3-letter country codes, Carlos Raul
Gutierrez has proposed the following suggestion to help this process move
forward, I believe we should consider his proposal as a reasonable
compromise considering all the discussion that has taken place and send our
support (or otherwise) to our ALAC co-Chair. The ALAC views could be
coordinated by the CPWG leads but will be required *by Tuesday??*.

*This is urgent, as it appears that consensus calls will be received by the
co-Chairs during the week  and as they will have to prepare for the next
WT5 meeting on the 22nd, it would be good to include an ALAC opinion as
well. *

“Dear Annebeth,

As you have heard me (too) many times before, I admire the track record of
preceding, clearly focused public interest 3 letter geo-TLDs, like the ones
from Catalonia in Spain, Brittany's in France, and Serbia's 3 letter TLDs

Now that I re-stated my rationale for such a clear-cut public interest case
in an email to Rosalia (for geo use ONLY, accessible -i.e. cheap- and
non-profit), I hereby submit to the WT my final revised language
suggestion, which is ONLY applicable for 3-Letter codes. It would
substitute the following final paragraph in the relevant section which
deals with 3-Letter codes: “*The SubPro may want to consider recommending
whether any future application/revision/delegation process to be
established (either generic or restricted to the Geographic categories
only), should determine if, when, and how specific interested parties, such
as relevant public international, national or sub-national public
authorities, may apply for country and territory names*"

My suggestion for a FORWARD looking option is:

“*ICANN may only consider applications of ISO 3166-1 Alpha 3 Letter Codes
submitted by relevant governmental authorities, ccTLD managers and public
interest/public benefit entities*.”

This paragraph is, in my view, a sensible part of a forward-looking
recommendation that could go ahead with broader WT consensus. And if it
does not, please make sure it is recorded as an objection against a
permanent restriction of the delegation of the ISO 3-Letter list.

Thanks to all,

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez"