[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] URGENT - WT5 proposal for 3-letter country codes

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Wed Aug 15 15:22:51 UTC 2018

Hi group,

Alexander Schubert, .berlin and .gay (community). Not voting in any other SO/AC. Participating in the WT5 quite actively. Having read here silently since a while. Promotor of community funded, -operated and -owned public benefit, non-profit, registrant authenticated new gTLD applications for the next round.

Let me play devil's advocate: So essentially WT5 should say:
"We at WT5 aren't authorized and competent enough to create a policy framework on how to apply for country names and 3166 Alpha-3 codes in the current gTLD process; we do suggest that ANOTHER body might create such policies - including the decision whether those are gTLDs or ccTLDs or "somethingelseTLDs"; but introduce already restrictions for that future body!"?

I don't think it would be fair to create random pre-conditions for the policy body that will have to deal with the task to create application policies for these names in the future. They deserve to enter into  their work without any "ballast".

WT5 rejects policy recommendations because these would be subject to the gTLD policy framework - but some want to see these strings being subjected rather (at least partly) to the ccTLD policy framework. Hence we suggest that NOBODY shall apply for such string - until another body makes a sufficient policy. Understandable. BUT: What with Governments which DO SUPPORT such application - and have ZERO PROBLEM with it being subjected to the gTLD framework? Country names and 3166 Alpha-3 codes are not very different from ISO 3166-2 Country subdivision codes; and we do have already registration policies for these in place!

In that respect my proposal (which I also made in WT5): if a Government WANTS to support such application as a gTLD - just let them do it; while ICANN strongly recommends to all others to wait for the future policy framework.

Here my proposal as addition to the geo-name policies in the new AGB (needs to be brushed up):

•                 country names or  ISO 3166-1 Alpha-3 code based strings are similar to ISO 3166-2 Country subdivision code based strings

•                 there is ALREADY a strict Government support policy in place – for ALL applications regardless of geo-use intent.

•                 ICANN is  announcing that a registration policy for these strings will be in developed – but that it will take many more years to be established

•                 That until such policy is established Governments are STRONGLY advised to NOT issue support for applications for country names or  ISO 3166-1 Alpha-3 code based strings

•                 That IF a Government supports such application within in the gTLD framework they will have to consult with ICANN (allowing ICANN to yet again explain why such string should actually NOT be applied for right now). It would be requisite that the relevant  ccTLD manager and the relevant  GAC member have to sign off as well (letters of non-objection)

Such proposal would allow the average Government to point to ICANN’s recommendation to NOT allow applications for these strings. But it would also allow those who WANT to operate such string NOW to go for it. For example as:

Non-profit, public benefit, community constituent funded applications that do not have to follow the classical “TLD-economics”. Namespaces that serve for eGovernment, destination marketing (tourism board), investment authority marketing, national airline presentation, national sports authority/national Olympic committee presentation. Entities which are used to spend big budgets – and for whom the collective financing of the application and operation costs of a gTLD is a drop in the bucket. To create a trusted namespace – similar to “.gov”. Something they couldn’t do with their national ccTLD. Examples could be “.spain” for a uniform destination marketing of all regions and cities like ibiza.spain, mallorca.spain, granada.spain, costabrava.spain, travel.spain, tourism.spain, seville.spain, malaga.spain, etc.

So ICANN strongly recommends to Governments to NOT support these applications – but it allows them to do so if they really, really want! Meanwhile we doctor another 5 to 10 years on how to create “policy” for the names (we do so since well over 10 years by now).

Thoughts?

Alexander.berlin