[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] URGENT - WT5 proposal for 3-letter country codes

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Fri Aug 17 23:05:59 UTC 2018

Carlton,

I think you are thinking about ISO-3166 in a way that doesn’t reflect the
history, as I understand what happened. When the idea of country-related
TLDs came up, nobody wanted ICANN (and its predecessors) to be “in the
business” of deciding what is or isn’t a country, nor did they want to get
into the business of inventing or deciding what constituted the appropriate
country-related TLD (or to resolve possible overlaps like
Austria/Australia). So they “borrowed” the ISO 3166 list of countries and
territories to deal with the first issue, and they borrowed the ISO-3166
2-letter codes to resolve the second issue. The 3-letter codes were just
left alone and were never part of the TLD discussion, TLD policy, etc.

So, rather than this being a restriction of some previously decided matter,
we are really talking about an expansion beyond the 2-letter codes by
affirmatively assigning ISO 3166 3 letter codes a new formal role in TLD
policy and decision-making.

It also means we would be making a geo-friendly value judgment regarding
the relative merits of various possible TLD uses for 3-letter strings that
have other meanings and also function as 3-letter codes. So, the jam band
community and the jazz jam session community and the jam manufacturers (and
home jam makers) all become second-class behind Jamaica, which already has
a 2-letter ccTLD and other options (.JAMAICA, for instance). Maybe these
are not particularly compelling alternatives, but consider .IOT, with the
Internet of Things such a burgeoning area of Internet expansion....

I don’t have a neat suggestion to end this with, but we do need to face the
issue of whether, for end users, the potential geo-use is always the most
beneficial.

Best regards,

Greg