[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] URGENT - WT5 proposal for 3-letter country codes

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 14:12:08 UTC 2018

Hi all.
I have remained silent in this discussion because I have already expressed my opinion multiple times in the last 20+ years, so I thought it was not necessary.
However, since many of the participants to this list are not so old like myself (and my good ol’ friend Christopher 😉) I will state it again.
I do not see the need to reserve ISO-3166 three-chars codes, because in the Internet community everybody by now identifies the countries by their 2-letter code and almost nobody by the 3-letter code. About 3-letter codes, let’s face it, the IOC codes and the vehicle license plates international codes are far better known. Let me make an example.
When we see an international sport event broadcast, and see that the athlete is shown as “RSA” we know he/she is from South Africa. On the other hand, although we Internauts know “ZA”, “ZAF” makes little sense.
This is just one of the many examples. If I were South-African, I would attach much more value to reserving “RSA” (the IOC code) than “ZAF” (the ISO-3166 code). Moreover “RSA”, unless I am mistaken, is still not in the ISO-3166-1 list and therefore, according to the proposed solution, remains open for grab.
My personal opinion is that this whole story is what I have often called “the male cat syndrome”, i.e. the habit of the male cat to mark the territory even if there is no plan for using it - just to assert the authority. This is the common behaviour for Governments - why the ordinary users should adopt it, beats me.
Cheers,
Roberto