[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Unified Access Model published for community input

Bill Silverstein icann.org at sorehands.com
Tue Aug 28 18:22:09 UTC 2018

I am going to take many exceptions to all of this.

I am one of those individuals who track down spammers. I know several
other people who do similar work, but this is not a business per se.

As a mail service provider I use the Whois information in deciding to
filter, capture, block spam. Spam filters may do this.

I capture Whois information of some spam coming in to detect patterns,
determine if the spam is in violation of California law and to determine
if I will file a lawsuit. Whether I am a lawyer is not relevant as I have
brought lawsuits on my own. Even if I did decide to retain an attorney, I
would have had to make the determination to bring a lawsuit.

What people seemed to have ignored, or forgotten, is that the domain name
registration is voluntary and one does not need to register a domain name.

What about the right of a recipient knowing the identity of the person
sending them e-mail?  What about the right of a mail service provider to
be able to determine who is using my resources and determine if the person
is a spammer?  What about Spamhaus? Doesn't Spamhaus use this information
to identify and track spammers? What about other spam filters or
reporters?