[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Auctions // At-Large/ALAC positions to New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Supplemental Initial Report

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 23:33:29 UTC 2018

Hi all.
My opinion is that the choice of contention resolution methodology depends on the purpose of the introduction of new gTLDs.
For instance, if the purpose is to maximise the circulation of money, the auction should be the winner. If the purpose is to address the underserved regions or communities, we should design a measure of “underservedness” and allocate according to these scores. And so on.
The problem is that, so far, I do not understand what is the real purpose of a next round. Once upon a time, I was in strong support of new gTLDs for breaking a monopoly, but since this has happened only too late, that objective has failed a full achievement. Later on, I came to the conclusion that one major area where new TLDs could really be a game changer was IDN. However, for the reasons that we all know, the use of IDNs is not up to the expectations - and the introduction of new TLDs before we have completely solved universal acceptance limitations is not going to solve this problem.
So, frankly, not having a clue on what is the primary purpose of the new round, it is difficult for me to say what would be the ideal tie breaker algorithm.
Cheers,
Roberto