[CPWG] Draft PTI and IANA FY20 Operating Plan and Budgets

Mohamed El Bashir mbashir at mbash.net
Sun Nov 11 05:25:05 UTC 2018

Dear Olivier, Jonathan, CPWG

Please find below my comments on the proposed ALAC comment on the draft of PTI FY20 Operating Plan and Budget.

The preliminary remarks should be removed as its not directly related to the PTI plan/budget, the issues raised can be communicated directly to the ICANN Staff handling IRF support.

Thanks

Regards,
Mohamed
> SUGGESTED COMMENTS BY THE ALAC
> 2 Executive Summary
> Page 5, ALAC supports the medium-term approach and planning, in conjunction with the ICANN Strategic Goals, “In FY20, work is expected to principally conclude on a multi-year effort to develop a comprehensive set of systems and tools to support protocol parameter assignment workflows. These systems will enhance the way service is delivered to the Internet standards community. Other areas of activity include continued evolution of the Root Zone Management System, enhancements to the IANA.org <http://iana.org/> website and associated tools to modernize and make information more accessible,and updates to the root zone key management software and facilities.”
> Page 5, last sentence makes no sense and needs to be reviewed, “It is anticipated work relating to ICANN initiatives such as variant TLDs and the subs.”
>
> 4 PTI Services Financial Overview
> Page 7, item 4.1 Budget Overview: in the table, the line entitled ''Depreciation'' gives a constant value (0.3 million USD), and yet predicts a -11% variation. This needs to be clarified, especially as current forecasts for the USD seem to indicate its positive valuation in the near future, instead of its depreciation, see this table from The Economy Forecast Agency (look at 2019 and beyond), https://longforecast.com/euro-to-dollar-eur-usd-forecast-2017-2018-2019-2020 <https://longforecast.com/euro-to-dollar-eur-usd-forecast-2017-2018-2019-2020> .
> Page 7, under item 2.1 “Travels and Meetings'' should read “I. Fewer PTI Operations Trips resulting in lower EXPENDITURES (my emphasis)'' instead of ''lower costs''. Costs are determined by travel and service providers, whereas expenditures are borne by PTI.
> Page 7, under 4, last line should read “... shows a decrease of...” (instead of ''...shows an decrease of...”).
> Page 8, under item 7, a clearer definition of “Depreciation” is required, in order to differentiate PTI/ICANN bilateral arrangements from the broader issue of depreciation in the monetary sense (see above remark).
>
> 5 PTI Services Overview
> Page 8, item 5, PTI Services Overview ends with this: “PTI, an ICANN affiliate, performs these functions on behalf of the global Internet community.” This important point could be usefully quoted in the message from the ALAC Chair when she/he sends our comments on the current draft.
> Page 8, item 5.2 IANA Numbering Function, fourth bullet point should spell “Unicast'' with the first letter in upper case, as it is a specific and recognized addressing method, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicast <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicast> .

6 PTI Services and Operation Plan :
There should an annex or addendum which lists the detailed breakdown of direct and indirect PTI costs which was carried out by ICANN different departments ( e.g communications, Governance support, ..etc ), its included in the table total figures under “Professional services”, for the sake of transparency the detailed breakdowns should be included in the budget and budget.