[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Further to WT5 discussion

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Sat Nov 17 17:20:14 UTC 2018

Thanks Bastiaan. Currently, as I am understanding it, an applicant who
does not want to use the string for geo purposes does NOT have to
explicitly commit to anything. They simply don't go there, they don't
acknowledge the geo possibilities at all. .Shanghai can be a clothing
line and there is no need for a perspective buyer to discuss the city
issue at all. That, to me, is where the "loophole" is. It is entirely
possible, even probable in many parts of the world, that the city in
question does not have ICANN or gTLDs on its radar. You can't say that
the city had no interest if they were not watching, never knew about it.

It would interesting to float the idea that domainers should be
prohibited, in the contract, from ever making a profit from a geo-name.
I have a feeling that this would be furiously opposed at many levels.
You are also suggesting also that cities get the "first right of
refusal" to take over that name -- with no added costs beyond what the
name cost in the first place -- this could be 10 years later. Again, I
don't it would fly at all. The business constituency would go crazy.

IMHO, the best way to address the issue is to make sure all applications
for non-capital city names get a letter of support or non-objection from
the city in the first place. If the city does not object -- and it might
even be offered nice gifts to not object -- that's their decision --
then the application goes ahead. If the goal is to prevent scalping or
whatever you want to call it, this is a lot cleaner than trying to tie
up profits indefinitely or putting any other kind of language in the
contract that constrains the rights of the successful applicant. We are
always looking for predictability. I don't see a better solution.

This doesn't mean all problems are solved. There would still be problems
around which of the various cities in the world with the same name would
have priority, etc. etc. -- all of which would have to be addressed. But
I believe there can be mechanisms put in place to address these things.

Marita