[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Further to WT5 discussion

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat Nov 17 21:00:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

It's a hen and egg problem:

*         Applicants want to AVOID letters of non-objection!

*         The city constituents will ONLY be "looped in" (btw even AFTER
delegation of the gTLD) if the applicant declared geo-use!

That's a HUGE problem for those cities that will be the target of
"investors": cities with a big enough population that the gTLD will fetch
enough registrations to be profitable! It's OK if "investors" are targeting
cities - but please loop the city in!

Hence my proposal a while ago:

*         If somebody applies for a string that is identical to a "city" (of
non-negligible size; e.g. larger than 10k inhabitants)  then:

o   Let the GEO-Panel determine how the Internet user likely will use the
gTLD! (Instead that the APPLICANT makes such determination)

o   Example:

*  somebody applies for ".shanghai", and either doesn't declare what they
will use it for at all

*  In such case it's pretty clear that most use will be made by people from
Shanghai!

The language that I have proposed is in the "DRAFT_Work Track 5 Initial
Report_14 November 2018_v2" of WT5:

Currently the AGB says regarding non-capital cities and letters of
non-objection:

"An application for a city name, where the applicant declares that it
intends to use the gTLD for purposes associated with the city name." The
requirement applies if:

  (a) It is clear from applicant statements within the application that the
applicant will use the TLD primarily for purposes associated with the city
name; and

  (b) The applied-for string is a city name as listed on official city
documents."

My suggestion for the red text is:

"(a) The Geographic Names Panel determines that the foreseeable use of 2nd
level domains by registrants will be to a significant degree for purposes
associated with the city name."

Voila! If somebody applies for ".shanghai" - it's pretty clear that people
would register for "purposes associated with the city name"! The GEO PANEL
should determine that. NOT the applicant himself!

Thanks,

Alexander