[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Further to WT5 discussion

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat Nov 17 22:41:29 UTC 2018

Hi there,

Let’s look at the issue from a neutral perspective:

City name based gTLDs will be insanely attractive in the COMING round. They weren’t attractive in the last round to the VC funded portfolio applicants as the “letter of non-objection” was too cumbersome, and ALL generic top premium keywords were available. So why bother with city names?

In the coming round (2020/2021) this changed: City name based gTLDs proved to be solid! Almost all premium generic keywords are taken.

So there will be many who want to “invest” in city name based gTLDs:

*         Portfolio applicants

*         “Speculators”

*         Or entities that just feel: “Hey, I can do that” (e.g. a media company in the city)

The letter if non-objection has drawbacks:

*         Often cities want public tenders

*         Some cities want to introduce something I call “gTLD tax” – in other words: they want to participate in the profits!

*         Some of the applicants try to “bribe” the city (happened a LOT in the 2012 round btw): “Hey, you get 75% of all profits if you let us do what we want to do” (then of course the “profits” were artificially diluted, but the city doesn’t know).

*         In any case: almost always the acquisition of the  letter of non-object requires TIME, ENERGY and MONEY! And usually creates a business disadvantage in the end!

So many applicants will try to AVOID having to get that letter in 2020/2021! It saves money, time, energy and it creates a business advantage compared to those who abide by the rules!

And actually you don’t have much to completely avoid the letter if non-objection! We are always talking about the “non-geo use provision”; which allows to apply and operate a city name based gTLD WITHOUT letter of non-objection, IF there is no geo-use intent! But in reality it’s NOT that you have to declare that “non-geo use”; it’s actually the OTHER way around: Only IF you mention the city and use for the city in the application, the geo names panel will ask for the letter of non-objection!

Example:

“.shanghai”    (a worldwide known mega city with 24 Million people! If it were a country, then only 50 other countries were larger population wise and 180 countries were SMALLER!)

If you want to apply for “.shanghai” then simply do like “DONUTS” in 2012! Go to ANY DONUTS application and look up the “mission” for the gTLD! Go to the “.bike” application, and try to find the word “bicycle”! NOT THERE! Or the word “bike”: NOT THERE! Instead it reads:

“DONUTS’ INTENTION FOR THIS TLD

As a senior government authority has recently said, “a successful applicant is entrusted with operating a critical piece of global Internet infrastructure.”  Donuts’ plan and intent is for this TLD to serve the international community by bringing new users online through opportunities for economic growth, increased productivity, the exchange of ideas and information and greater self-expression.”

Yap: you do not find the words bicycle or bike in the ENTIRE application (minus when the string is named of course: “.bike”).

If Donuts had applied for “.shanghai” instead e.g. “.bike”: they would have gotten that gTLD – no questions asked!

So back to Marita:
The biggest problem isn’t that somebody might want to “resell” the application (or applicant entity). It’s a problem that those who will do it “right” will enter into SIGNIFICANT work and business disadvantages – while others simply avoid the letter altogether! Both then end up in auction (because the letter of non-objection doesn’t create a priority); and guess who will then be financially stronger?

Thanks,

Alexander