[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Next possible move related to GDPR

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Mon Sep 3 03:14:06 UTC 2018

As Alan notes, this is one person's view of the context, seen from a rather
particular point of view.  Facts are included and excluded quite
selectively.  It's particularly silly to call those who disagree with the
author's point of view "privacy opponents" -- just as it would be silly to
call those who agree with the author's point of view "privacy fetishists"
or "privacy maximalists."  But I guess a story needs good guys and bad guys
need to be called things like "privacy opponents" and "copyright
maximalists."

The blog post says nothing about the legitimate positive uses that WHOIS
data is put to, but only mentions the inappropriate uses.  It then makes
very simplistic statements about the effect that withholding that data has
had, which fundamentally miscast the positions of those on the "other side"
from the author.  The full story is much more nuanced.  An imbalanced view
of an issue that requires a reasonable understanding of the various
viewpoints is not particularly helpful. Of course, there's a place for
advocacy, but it should be recognized as such.

Best regards,

Greg

--
Greg Shatan