[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Next possible move related to GDPR

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 08:02:41 UTC 2018

Hi Tijani,

When nuance is possible, I have faith in our people to understand and work
with that. Ideally we want both domain owners and domain users to be free
from abuse. However, when there are decisions that will favour either the
protection of registrants OR the protection of end users, our scale is
balanced 98 to 2. Such hard choices - such as the very definitions of
"harm" or "abuse"- will not be avoidable and we cannot shirk from that.

Cheers,
Evan

PS: I am not sure that AFNIC/.fr is a good example, since well-run ccTLDs
with residency requirements are typically not sources of significant
end-user abuse. Were ICANN run like AFNIC or CIRA it's likely that gTLDs
might not be such sources of abuse and this debate would be unnecessary.