[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Next possible move related to GDPR

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 22:37:25 UTC 2018

If ever you get a chance to participate in a Review in the ICANN mold, I
strongly recommend you take the time. All that required reading and
argumentation does assist in concentrating the mind.

My interpretation of the bye-law mandate for the ALAC to '*consider and
provide advice....related to the interests of individual internet users*"
is and remains to *advocate* on behalf of the *individual users*.  Take the
ordinary OED meaning for that word.

We have all decided that the term *'individual internet users*' could be
further unpacked to mean registrants and those who never will register a
domain name. We cannot contest that the latter class would be billions
compared to the tens of thousands of registrants.

As At-large advocates, I'd assume we have permanent interests. When I'm in
a contentious situation with advocates for many interests, I favour the
idea that advances the greatest good to the greatest numbers.

Alliances that progresses my interests come naturally to me. But to the
extent that I advocate interests for public policy *outcomes*, I will
always come down on the side that delivers the greatest good to the
greatest numbers.

This is situational. I have long recognized that in DNS matters, my
objective of the greatest good delivered to the greatest numbers is often
bound to third party interests. I may not sign on to all of their
interests. But if some advance the ones I advocate then I will embrace them.

Striking that balance is what detains me in this argument.

-Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*