[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Two-chars TLDs

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Fri Sep 21 19:50:24 UTC 2018

There are 676 possible letter-letter combinations. I think that provides
more than ample room for expansion of the cc universe, without asserting
that letter-number, number-letter, and number-number combinations need to
be reserved as well, “just in case.” That feels a bit expansionist to me.

Shouldn’t the potential ASCII gTLD space be viewed as the universe of all
possible combinations of up to 63 characters, minus any strings we allocate
or reserve for other purposes?

That said, the “recommendations” in this report are not recommendations of
the Working Group. They are at best recommendations of an individual Work
Track, or even just a possibility that some in the Work Track would like
considered. Think of this more as spaghetti thrown against the wall than a
true list of well-considered policy recommendations. I’m sure many of these
“recommendations” will survive to become actual Policy Recommendations of
the Working Group. But many others will just slide down the wall, leaving a
fat,ugly red streak behind it (in my imagination, the spaghetti has tomato
sauce on it...).

Best regards,

Greg