[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Two-chars TLDs

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 25 05:32:50 UTC 2018

Hi Justine.
Thanks for pointing out that there is also a question.
I personally doubt that we could reach consensus in the few hours left on this topic, so I have submitted a comment on my name.
Please find the text below for reference.
Cheers,
Roberto

Hi all.
I would like to comment on the proposal to remove the limitation about two character strings. The text reads:

2.7.1.c.3: The Work Track is also considering a proposal to remove the reservation of two-character strings at the top level that consist of one ASCII letter and one number (e.g., .O2 or .3M), but acknowledges that technical considerations may need to be taken into account on whether to lift the reservation requirements for those strings. In addition, some have expressed concern over two characters consisting of a number and an ASCII letter where the number closely resembles a letter (e.g., a “zero” looking like the letter “O” or the letter “L” in lowercase looking like the number “one”).

Personally, I believe that besides the issue about confusing similarity there is a more fundamental problem. Two characters string are used for ccTLDs following inclusion in the ISO 3166-1 Alpha-2 list.
While the list is clearly identified as “Alpha-2” I am not sure that, in case of a future shortage of combinations, ISO could not instruct ISO 3166-MA to use also two-characters alphanumeric strings. We have seen that already with IATA and the airline codes, initially limited to two characters alphabetic strings, but later extended to two characters alphanumeric.
I personally believe that, considering that we have billions of possibilities with alphanumeric character strings of length >2 we are unnecessarily taking collision risks for little benefit. May I also remind that ICANN has already in the previous round ignored collision warnings and had to take emergency action afterwards. I hope that we have learned from the experience.
Should ICANN decide do disregard the warning and proceed anyway, it should at least protect itself asking ISO for a commitment not to use mixed alphanumeric 2-character strings in the future as part of the ISO-3166 code system.
This comment applies also as answer to the related question quoted below:

Q 2.7.1.e.2 - If there are no technical obstacles to the use of 2-character strings at the top level consisting of one letter and one digit (or digits more generally), should the reservation of those strings be removed? Why or why not? Do you believe that any additional analysis is needed to ensure that these types of strings will not pose harm or risk to security and stability? Please explain.

Best regards,
Roberto