[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] Fwd: FW: Draft Comment on RA Renewals

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 09:48:04 UTC 2019

Thanks to Greg Shatan for the 24 April draft statement.

My comments / suggestion are as follows:-

1. I wonder if it might be better to prepare (and submit) 2 statements
instead of a consolidated one ie. one to address .BIZ, .ORG and .INFO and
another for .ASIA.. This is because .ASIA had a "different playing field of
no price caps" to begin with and in this way, any concerns about price cap
removals for .BIZ, .ORG and .INFO can be addressed squarely in comparison
with .NET and with reference to the ALAC's 2017 comment. Given that we
don't seem to be offering comments to the inclusion of some RPMs.

2. In any case, the draft starts with "Background" but doesn't indicate
where that backgrounder ends and where the present comment begins.

3. Related to the point about standardizing RAs as being a good approach,
it be useful to draw attention to the use of Addendums as the controlled
means for handling necessary variations.

4. Would it not be incumbent on At-Large to also support (or least comment
on) regularizing the inclusion of PICs in these RA renewals (if any)?

5. As for UA, it's not clear (to me at least) what we want all ROs to do
about it at this point. Given community interest on UA has increased
further in recent meetings, actual responsibilities might be better framed
in due course. So, it may be prudent to tackle the inclusion of UA into the
base Registry Agreement by amending Specification 6, or possibly by way of
a consensus policy addition in Specification 1, at a later date.

Justine
(my apologies for being late to the "party")

-----