[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] renewal of .org registry

Greg Shatan greg at isoc-ny.org
Fri Apr 26 15:11:48 UTC 2019

George wrote:

“I think the proper word isn't "scared" but "inform".”

Having read what NameCheap wrote, I think the proper word isn’t “inform”
but “scare.”  Also “misinform.”

Putting up a poll asking whether ICANN staff should be “sacked” for putting
forward the removal of price caps, with the choices being “Yes, all of
them,” “Yes, some of them” or “no” also contributes to the overheated,
scare-mongering atmosphere around this issue.
https://twitter.com/georgekirikos/status/1121125126597038080?s=21

As does tweeting that iCANN staffers should start reading books about how
to handle getting fired.
https://twitter.com/georgekirikos/status/1121547212813586432?s=21

There’s a way to have a reasoned discussion about continuing price caps in
the legacy TLDS, and the pro’s and con’s of price caps, but this isn’t it.

Finally, this concern about protecting small non-profits from paying big
bucks for domain names would seem a lot more genuine if it included support
for price caps in the resale market (i.e., the secondary market or
aftermarket).

Best regards,

Greg

--