[CPWG] Subsequent Procedures WT5 on Geonames: A proposal from geoTLD group to change the existing AGB string contention resolution for geonames

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 00:32:59 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I have been asked to bring this proposal from the geoTLD group for
At-Large/ALAC's consideration.

In short, the proposal seeks to change the existing AGB string contention
resolution procedure to recognise rights to non-capital city name strings
under applicable national law.

While I expect the details, intricacies (read: varying circumstances) and
text changes (I suspect there will be) will be discussed at the next WT5
call (on 7 Aug 2019, 20:00 UTC), I understand it to propose in principle
that:

   - Where there is a contention set for a non-capital city name
   string, priority would be given to the applicant that intends to use the
   non-capital city name string for geographic purposes provided the applicant
   is based in a country where national laws exist to protect such names like
   in Switzerland and Germany. Recall that any applicant that wishes to apply
   for/use a non-capital city name for geographic purposes is subject to the
   preventative protection mechanism (i.e. must obtain a letter of support or
   non-objection from the relevant government or local authority)
   - Where there is more than one applicant that intends to use the same
   non-capital city name string for geographic purposes and they all have
   obtained the requisite letter of support or non-objection from their
   respective government or local authority, priority would be given to the
   applicant whose application is intended to serve the non-capital city with
   the larger or largest population size.

I shall attempt to include this on the agenda of today's CPWG Call (on 7
Aug 2019 at 19:00 UTC).

Justine
-----