[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] New gTLD Applicant Support - improve it, or scrap it?

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 06:45:11 UTC 2019

My comments are inline:

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019, 6:49 am Evan Leibovitch, <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> In my many years of being involved in ICANN, I have rarely seen my point
> of view so mischaracterised. The very subject line of this thread indicates
> IMO a significant lack of grasp of my core point and indeed a substantial
> mis-framing of the debate I had hoped to initiate.
>
> Let me be clear: I am neither for improvement of nor scrapping Applicant
> Support.

Noted.

> My challenge is whether a non-registrant end-user interest exists in this
> either way, and whether ALAC has credibility to pass judgement on the
> program at all as part  of its bylaw mandate.

Of course, the ALAC has credibility, were'nt you a part of ALAC. We should
be seen to be supporting the ALAC and yes it is within its mandate.
Oliver's historical overview clearly lays out the ALAC's consistent
contribution.

> IMO, this is an issue of interest to other ICANN constituencies but the
> end-user constituency has no stake in how it is resolved.

I disagree. The end user has a stake as was with the Amazon scenario etc.

> My response to "improve or scrap?" is "it doesn't matter".
>
> That is the point I was making on last week's call, not that we change our
> opinion but that we simply withdraw and assert no opinion. The question at
> hand is not "is Applicant support worthwhile" but "do end users care if
> there is applicant support or not".

Of course they do and even if they are not aware, that is where the ALAC
has to make a judgment call. Otherwise what is the point?

> Never once in the recent debate have I advocated that AS was inherently
> wrong.

Noted, but your questioning the credibility of ALAC re AS is communicating
the opposite. Glad you are clarifying your position.

> I just question our continued focus on a question that -- given the new
> facts and evidence at hand since the rollout of that gTLD round -- has
> demonstrated no positive or negative consequences for end users.

It does not matter, the ALAC must continue to  speak up and be verbal about
end users support whether we are seen to be making a dent.

> My advocacy here is for ALAC to be selective in addressing only issues in
> which end-users have a genuine stake in the outcomes.

I disagree and say that this is an issue that end users have a genuine
stake in the outcome.

> I assert that this issue (Applicant support) is only the first identified
> ALAC issue in which end users have no justification to claim interest. I
> have commented elsewhere on a second issue of this type, geoname TLDs, as
> chapter 2 of the theme of "not my circus, not my monkeys". They're not our
> fights, and we demean our credibility elsewhere when we assert otherwise.

Again, I disagree. I support the Chair's leadership on the matter.