[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] New gTLD Applicant Support - improve it, or scrap it?

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 23:27:03 UTC 2019

Dear Evan,

I led the team that reviewed and drafted the Pacific Digital Framework that
reports to the Regional ICT Ministerial under the Council of Regional
Organisations in the Pacific region. We held extensive consultations on
issues in the Pacific related to the internet ecosystem for member states.

The issues that Maureen raised are consistent with findings on the ground.
Maureen has also in the past been chair of an ALS that has extensive
membership of a wide "sample of end users" and alot of what she is raising
is the consensus view of the Pacific region and these have been taken
through past consultative methods through surveys etc.

Maureen, together with Tracey Hackshaw is co-chair of the Dynamic Coalition
of Small Islands Developing States.

In other hats, we also work closely with both Government and UN agencies in
running national consultations in Asia Pacific countries and a recent one
this year was to launch a project where Nepal, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Fiji
and Samoa are pilot countries. This of course is in the are of ICT
(ecosystem), gender, access to finance. The issues within Asia Pacific are
immensely different from Canada and North America.

In fact, Asia Pacific contributes the largest volume to global e commerce
and it has the largest end users. Within our region, we have well
established protocols for gauging and gathering our positions and these are
diverse and varied.

The views espoused by our elected representative Ms Maureen Hilyard, Ms
Justine Chew, Mr Tijani Benjamaa, Mr Olivier Crepin Le Blond are consistent
with the region's views.

I would suggest that you focus on your consultations within your ALS and
region which is NARALO and let us within APRALO focus on ours.

Best Wishes,
Sala