[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Discussion: End-users definition from At-large perspective

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 06:27:28 UTC 2019

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 01:25, Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn>
wrote:

Jonathan, the NCUC accepts members registrant or not.

Not according to the NCUC Bylaws
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/revised-bylaws-ncuc-17oct17-en.pdf>
.

Bylaw III.A.3 indicates that membership criteria requires that *"The
organization is the exclusive user of at least one domain name*".

> On the other hand, I’m a registrant (who is not on ALAC) and I have never
> been member of NCUC; Shall I go there?

If you want to asset your rights as a registrant, yes. For instance, the
NCUC is involved with registrant privacy to an extent that ALAC is not.

Another interesting tidbit. Bylaw G.2 sais that one of its individual
members "is not represented in ICANN personally or by his or her employer
through membership in another Advisory Committee or Supporting Organization
and their stakeholder groups". So one cannot be a member of both ALAC and
NCUC.

This means, Tijani, that if you wanted to assert your rights as a
registrant, you're supposed to leave ALAC and join NCUC.

- Evan