[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] A way forward on today's call re: PIR

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 19:32:17 UTC 2019

Um, hate to tell you that the ICANN Board appears to have already answered;
no impact on stability and security.

It appears that their close reading of [what some of us think are the
relevant] clauses of the RA says PIR is and remains undisturbed as
consignee of goods and chattel per .org and that has not changed by virtue
of its sale to Ethos Capital. Expect PIR to swear to that, scout's honour.
Satisfaction established.

I would so wish to see a credible end user interest emerge from all the
folderol. Oh yes, if one is given to conspiracy theories one might even be
suspicious of the timelines that converged around the sale. But other than
the handwringing about lack of consultation and the contemplated savagery
to the pockets of .org registrants who may see a price increase - in a free
competitive market no less! - there really is no there there. I take this
as another teachable moment on 'knowing when to fold'.

To be brutally frank and the darwinian view applied, I'm more concerned
that ISOC may have left money lying on the table! And while I am a global
ISOC member, I'm fairly certain the ISOC Board would say they do not have a
duty of care to me about that either. So I am predicting no change in the
[ICANN Board] posture.

Here's the bald fact. The proposition is for the At-Large to seek ICANN's
intervention in a transaction that for the larger ecosystem in which it is
embedded this is a feature, not an aberrant bug.

This too shall pass.
Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*