[CPWG] NYTimes: The .Org Mirage

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Thu Dec 5 19:38:58 UTC 2019

Sure, I agree with all of that. However, it IS the case that those NOT  “involved in ICANN,” as you put it, DO believe there is something special about .ORG, something more trustworthy than the rest, and this is reinforced by PIRs marketing. WE are tasked with understanding, to the extent possible, and promoting the interests of “individual end users,” and Alan makes the point that Ethos will market this to for-profits, even more than currently, potentially undermining consumer trust (that we’re all admitting here is not justified). So I’m asking you, for just a minute, to put down your ire about this deal as well as your assumption (most likely true) about the malicious intentions of this piece, and think about whether there IS in fact a “trust” issue among individual end users that we should seek to preserve.

John has made the point that if REGISTRANTS lose trust in PIR, they will move to ccTLDs and, here too, I’m not sure why we should be concerned about a movement out of .ORG. What am I missing?

Most of what we SEEM to be saying is that we want there to be a not-for profit REGISTRY which has very little to do with .ORG. Just trying to get a handle on this.
Jonathan