[CPWG] NYTimes: The .Org Mirage

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Thu Dec 5 19:46:06 UTC 2019

Managing brand transition costs sounds a black hole that would be difficult to do in reality.  What do you think about capping resale prices?

From: Evan Leibovitch <evanleibovitch at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 2:39 PM
To: Jonathan Zuck <JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org>
Cc: "b_jouris at yahoo.com" <b_jouris at yahoo.com>, "jmcc at hosterstats.com" <jmcc at hosterstats.com>, CPWG <cpwg at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [CPWG] NYTimes: The .Org Mirage

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 03:16, Jonathan Zuck <JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org<mailto:JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org>> wrote:

That said, I wouldn’t mind disincentives to profiteering in the domain such as capping after market prices at documented cost of owning the domain. And certainly .ORG could use even more aggressive DNS Abuse protections such as those in use by .EU and .UK.,

For what it's worth...

In the ISOC list I have advanced a compromise position. The summary of it is that the Ethos deal goes through but that 7% of the proceeds (about $80M) are earmarked by ISOC towards creation of a new community-run nonprofit registry that would either apply for or acquire a TLD. Most of the money would be used to run the registry until it achieved sustainability and the rest would be used to subsidize the identity-change expenses of nonprofits wanting to switch. The intent is to essentially reboot .org under a new name, to maintain at least one globally accessible mission-driven TLD now  that we know .org won't play that role.

When I first proposed this I considered it a fallback if the would-be ICANN and PA obstacles proved ineffective, as an alternative to the inevitable court challenges which I submit nobody will win. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that it may even be a preferred Plan A since I don't think that killing the deal will really take us back to the pre-deal status quo. Trust in ISOC by its community will remain vastly diminished, and now all know that it is trying to unload PIR.

My proposal has earned mixed reviews so far. Those want to take a Principled Stand of kill-the-deal-or-bust hate it. A few private emails from people whose advise I often solicit -- including one ISOC trustee -- like the idea, at least in principle.

- Evan