[CPWG] PIR response to NCSG ltr to ICANN

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 17:24:46 UTC 2019

Hi all
I went to the PIR-Ethos webinar which included Jon and Brian from PIR (whom
I know) and Erik and Nora (whom I don't know) representing Ethos.

As a member of the (now previous) Advisory Council, it was good to hear
from the Ethos pair that the same aspirations that PIR discussed with us at
our F2F meeting in October are supported by Ethos going forward. From them,
there was assurance that it would not be in the best interest of good
business practice to interfere with what is already a proven and successful
brand and operation.

Nora's key points were:
* Establishing a PIR Stewardship Council with the authority on matters of
concern to the .ORG Community
* Forming a Public Benefit LLC
* Embedding a commitment on domain registration pricing into the Public
Benefit LLC statement at formation
* Adopting the principle of transparency.

Brian impressed on community safeguards,
* PIR would be the same team, mission, values and commitment
* PIR would continue as an exemplary registry
* With increased focus and innovation for the .ORG mission/community

The Stewardship Council's role will be:
* a transparent and independent body
* comprised of members from the .ORG community
* focused on balancing the interests of all .ORG stakeholders.
* to provide oversight to safeguard the interests of the .ORG community
* to formulate advice and strategic recommendations to the PIR Board
* to issue periodic reports

There were a range of questions that had been sent in already and these
were answered by the four presenters.

I have always felt that PIR was between a rock and a hard place when they
became the asset traded by ISOC for its own financial security. Yet they
are the ones who have to defend their ongoing commitment to safeguarding
the interests of the .ORG community and striving to retrieve their trust.
The Ethos team were supporting that direction. Time will tell.