[CPWG] URGENT: DRAFT ALAC Statement on the EPDP Phase 1 Final Report

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Feb 15 15:14:31 UTC 2019

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. However, Rec #10 is in direct conflict with Rec
#6, as Rec #10 says "redaction ***MUST*** be applied as follows".

Furthermore, as you correctly not, there's no timeline, even if
registrars do allow non-redaction via Rec #6 (which I think many/most
will not, because Rec #10 gives the registrars justification to ignore
Rec #6). It's been 9 months since May 25, 2018, and my WHOIS is
completely redacted at one of the largest registrars, along with tens
of millions of domains owned by other registrants (see WHOIS for
leap.com, math.com, school.com, etc.) at other registrars.
"Commercially reasonable" in Rec #6, without a firm deadline, will be
read as a de facto "never".  Rec #6 doesn't even say what that
"additional contact information" is (some will say it's just the email
address, whereas many registrants will want the full "classic WHOIS",
i.e. what it has always been pre-GDPR, which proves they're the owner
of their own domains.

I know the EPDP working group members have been working hard against a
deadline, but this report seems slapped together at the last minute
with obvious shortcomings that will persist and likely never be
corrected by any future policy working group. It's better to "get it
right" rather than "do it fast", in my opinion. We risk another
RegisterFly fiasco, if we don't get this right.

Failing this, ICANN should work towards changing the entire registrar
accreditation process, to allow boutique "mini registrars" (i.e. kind
of like .BRAND gTLD registries) to be established, where the "mini
registrar" owns all of their own domains at that registrar, without
any 3rd-party customers, with appropriate restrictions and
accommodations (e.g. no access to "batch pool" for expired domains,
more reasonable turnaround time for compliance, etc.). That boutique
registrar would then be able to fully publish their own full WHOIS,
and not be subject to the whims of the current contracted parties, who
are over-applying GDPR and removing choices for registrants. By adding
suitable restrictions, such boutique registrars could be lower cost
(lower accreditation fees, etc.), and also force the registrars (and
ICANN in general) to actually listen to the concerns of registrants,
lest those registrants move their domains to their own self-operated
boutique registrars.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269