[CPWG] WT5 Geonames initial report -- slides to check out

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon Jan 7 23:48:51 UTC 2019

Dear members of CPWG:

Justine, Yrjo and I have been working on potential responses to the call
for comments re: WT5 on Geonames Supplemental Initial Report. Justine
has again come through with her superior slide making skills and the
issues in this complex work stream have been organized and explained to
the best of her (and our) ability. We have penciled in responses to the
questions posed -- but, as always, they are there for you to consider
and respond to. It is always easier to start with something than to be
faced with a blank. So, please, give us your reactions. We are
especially appealing to the many of you (27 in total) who have actually
been monitoring and/or participating in these discussions. Let us know
if we are on the right track.

The bright red stars and red lettering are there to indicate items we
perceive to be controversial. We would also draw your attention
particularly to slides 18 and 19 which are asking for our ideas on the
definition of terms such as "geographic names". In some of these, we
have not yet entered suggestions -- waiting for your ideas.

Slide deck posted as a comment on wiki page
https://community.icann.org/x/kAP_BQ
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.icann.org%2Fx%2FkAP_BQ&sa=D&usd=2&usg=AFQjCNFz9swpz_XAvdiXyowTs17Y6U5UnA>

Go directly to pdf of slides:
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=100533136

Please try to take a look at this information in preparation for our
first round of discussions on this at Wednesday's CPWG meeting, or if
you can't make the meeting, send your suggestions to the list, to any of
us personally or put it on the wiki.

Marita, Justine, Yrjo