[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Reminder - Today by 17:00 UTC: ACTION/ALAC and CPWG Members: Statement on Evolving ICANN’s Multistakeholder Model

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Mon Jun 10 09:46:06 UTC 2019

GREAT film!  I appreciate Evan’s perspective a great deal but we must heed Don Balosa’s warning about the tears of Saint Louis and make sure that we have a real plan in place to change the status quo and not just sound off in frustration.

I think there will be many opportunities to partner with the NCSG but I believe our differences have far more to do with ideology than scope.  The NCSG (or really the NCUC that rules it) operates from a rights driven perspective which, while crucial a la organizations like the ACLU, is NOT always in the “interests” of the majority of end users. Nowhere is this MORE apparent than in the context of the GDPR and their performance on the EPDP. I don’t think it should be the role of the At-large (and certainly not the ALAC!) to step outside the remit of ICANN but instead to do the work to identify the actual interests of end users and do our best to represent them.

I agree there’s an imbalance but we need to make a solid case for better representation of end users within ICANN but make sure that, in so doing, we don’t reveal the problem to be ourselves.
Jonathan