[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Drafting an advice to the ICANN board: EPDP final report phase 1

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 29 03:45:02 UTC 2019

the situation was not quite as Bastiaan described.

The ALAC and others had consistently taken the
position that contracted parties should be
required to do geographic differentiation in line
with the stated ICANN intent of keeping WHOIS
information as available as possible given full
compliance with GDPR. Although we were not unique
in this position, I note that this was very
clearly the position taken by SSAC in light of
the benefits related to cyber-security issues.

The issue was consistently deferred as not being
necessary for resolution in phase 1, a position
that we accepted. At one point there was an
e-mail sent to the EPDP list by a contracted
party rep that proposed simply accepting no
geographic differentiation. There were no
objections and the issue was not raised during a
teleconference. It only came to light late in the
process when the final draft report was being reviewed.

The ALAC and others including the SSAC
strenuously objected as clearly noted in our
comments on the draft (attached). Ultimately, we
(ALAC, SSAC and others) agreed to accept the
wording in recommendation 16 because debating the
wording further would not allow us to issue the
report as scheduled. However, the discussion
clearly said that the issue WOULD be raised in
Phase 2. That is the recollection of the ALAC and
SSAC as well as the EPDP Chair who all expected
geographic differentiation to be on the Phase 2 agenda.

When staff produced the Phase 2 outline in Kobe,
the item was missing because "that is what Rec 16
said", notwithstanding the verbal agreement to
continue to discuss the issue in Phase 2 (and
this was accepted by the current acting chair Rafik Dammak).e

The statement will be drafted in two versions for discussion by the ALAC.

Alan