[CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] [GTLD-WG] Further Revised Draft Statement on .ORG Renewal

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed May 1 04:43:12 UTC 2019

The problem with a post-removal study is what do you do if you find things have gone south. What is the recourse?

Alan

At 30/04/2019 12:50 PM, Greg Shatan wrote:
All,

A few responses to the various earlier emails.

@Ricardo, Good point.  I think it makes sense to call for several studies over time, rather than a single study.

@Olivier, My omission of your contribution was an oversight, not a conclusion that the view lacked support or was off-topic.  My apologies. I, for one, would be happy to add something on Registry fees to the draft.  Please provide text or point me to the best iteration of your suggested text (which I missed, sadly).  Or I can take what is in Justine’s draft.

Personally, I am not in favor of doing an economic study before removing the price cap.  As Jonathan notes, this work has already been done.  My thought was to have a study done in “real time,” based on observing the domain name market(s) after the caps were lifted, so that the effects could be accurately observed and analyzed, and used to inform future action.  Predictive studies are by their nature speculative, and can more easily be bent in one direction or the other.. They tend to be more successful and reliable when the study structure and method is well-understood and time-tested (e.g., a pre-merger analysis).  A predictive study here may prove far less reliable and useful, given the number of variables and inputs and the novelty of the study.  I also think it’s an unrealistic request.  But as penholder, I will draft whatever the consensus becomes.

Greg