[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Further Revised Draft Statement on .ORG Renewal

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed May 1 16:33:37 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

Jonathan's statement that "ICANN is under no obligation to renew" is
not supported by any citation, not supported by history, and not
correct, as one can easily check by reading the draft contract itself:

https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/tlds/org/org-proposed-renewal-18mar19-en.pdf

"4.2 Renewal. (a) This Agreement will be renewed for successive
periods of ten (10) years upon the expiration of the initial Term set
forth in Section 4.1 and each successive Term, unless:..."

(list circumstances not at ICANN's discretion, e.g. if Registry
operator breaches and doesn't cure that breach, etc.)

Which part of "will be renewed" isn't clear?

Section 4.3 talks about termination, and again it's not at ICANN's discretion.

Combine the above with Section 5.4, which ensures "specific
performance" of the contract, and it's clear that ICANN is under an
obligation to renew:

"5.4 Specific Performance. Registry Operator and ICANN agree that
irreparable damage could occur if any of the provisions of this
Agreement was not performed in accordance with its specific terms.
Accordingly, the parties agree that they each shall be entitled to
seek from the arbitrator or court of competent jurisdiction specific
performance of the terms of this Agreement (in addition to any other
remedy to which each party is entitled)."

One need only look at the market cap of Verisign. It wouldn't be so
high if it was reflecting just a 6 year or 10 year contract term. That
presumptive renewal was a major policy blunder by ICANN, as I noted in
my own public comments.

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-org-renewal-18mar19/2019q2/003178.html

If ICANN wasn't under any obligation to renew, certainly it would have
held competitive tenders by now, which they've never done since
entering into these types of contracts.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269